If the traffic offence is serious, you will not receive an infringement and the case will be heard in the Magistrates’ Court. These offences may include:
- Drink/ drug driving charges;
- driving while suspended;
- excessive speeding; and
- dangerous driving.
In case you plead guilty or found guilty of a traffic offence the magistrate decides which penalties to give you depending on the nature of the offence. You may also get a number of different penalties.
The law is getting tougher on drink driving cases. All drivers caught drink driving have to complete a behaviour change program before they can apply for another licence.
When making decisions about what penalty should be given, the magistrate looks at:
- Seriousness of the offence;
- Prior similar offences where you were found guilty; and
- Current circumstances in your life – you need the car to help your family.
It is important to note that what happens in court goes into your criminal record. This includes:
- Guilt foundation;
- Penalties; and
- And a conviction, if found.
We are here to help. Please do not hesitate to contact us.