Child support is a payment made by one or both parents to the other to help with the cost of looking after the children. In some situations, it may be paid by one or both parents to another person who is looking after the children.

The arrangements will depend mainly on your financial circumstances.

There are three options available:

  • Child Support agreement –both parties agree on the amount paid for child support and how they may sign a written agreement relating to it;
  • Child Support assessment – involves DHS who assesses the contributions to be made by both parties as per concerned legislation; and
  • Court ordered child support – an application can be made to the Family Court for child support where the child in question is over 18.

The liability of child support lies with both – biological and adoptive parents. If you are seeking child support assessment through DHS, you will have to prove that the other party is the parent of your child.

If you are a grandparent or other relative who is caring for a child, you may be able to get child support payments from the child’s parents.

Child Support