DIVORCE & SEPARATION
End of a relationship can be very painful, emotional and traumatic. It is a big change in your life, and you may feel overwhelmed about it. Separation is when the partners discontinue living together in a live-in style or marriage like relationship. In separation, there are no legal processes to become separated.
Divorce is the official and legal ending of marriage. You must satisfy the court that:
- You and your spouse have lived apart for 12 months and
- There is absolutely no chance of reconciliation in your marriage.
In case of separation/ divorce, you would need to:
- Inform Centrelink, Medicare and Child Support;
- Inform family and friends, and make arrangements for any children involved; and
- Make plans regarding loan/ debt payment, managing joint accounts and change your will.
The law encourages that you figure out your issues using family dispute resolution. If you cannot agree on arrangements about property or children, you may end up going to court.